Monday, March 23, 2009

Wedding Date Change!

"I love Nascar..." or I don't... Especially when the the bi-annual race at Dover International Speedway falls on our projected wedding date. For anybody not familiar with what it is like in Dover on a Race weekend, let me describe the traffic situation for you. For a week beforehand, race fans begin coming in and putting up campers all over town. Dover has a population of approx 36,000. On race weekend, the number of people spikes to about 200,000! If you are trying to get into the Dover area Friday night, drive around during any non race time on Sat. or leave again on Sunday, you can pretty much just plan on sitting in your car, bumper to bumper, and hoping that your car does not overheat or run out of gas. Therefore... our wedding date has been set for Sept. 12, 2009. Official announcements and invitations will follow, but for anybody who happens to follow along here, you get a heads up.

Thanks again to everybody for all the comments on the blog and emails that were sent. There was almost no way to reply to them all. Really is incredible how many friends you can have. Oh, and I wasn't trying to make people "fess up" or anything that they had been checking my site without leaving a comment. : ) I actually never expected that many people to check it anyways and since I only knew of a few who did, it was a bit of a surprise. Kinda nice to hear from people though.


That enough people for you??? Yes, this is a real pic of Dover. (Def NOT taken by me)



8 comments:

Deb said...

Maria- Great description of Race Weekend in Dover, DE!!
Unless you lived here- you would not have a clue!!!
Also, hotels are booked for one year in advance and there would be none available in case there was a need.
I have a feeling September 12th will get here fast.

Anonymous said...

Golly Wally. I have been stuck in that traffic before and I live here. It ain't pretty. =)
I am now very excited for Sept 12th. Isn't that Kris & Daniels anniversary too? Something like that anyway... =)

Minabird said...

yes good ole' Race Weekend. I certainly and not missing those. thanks for the update.

Teresa said...

Cool! Now I can start looking for tickets!! :D ps. I do NOT miss Race Weekend!! ;)

Deb said...

Teresa
Glad to hear you'll be looking for tickets :-) It is the weekend after the Labor Day Youth Conf.

Teresa said...

Cool, I was wondering about that and hoping I would be able to fit that in too! It will be three years since I've been to Victory!! Crazy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Maria. I will change it on my calendar. Actually, that is Sonya's birthday. Will be easy to remember. Have fun with the planning:)

Anonymous said...

2 thumbs up! Didn't want to have to miss it...and it's right near our anniversary, so maybe I can bribe someone into watching the kids for a couple extra days...